I’ve been blogging about healing the spirit and soul for the last few weeks. Now let’s heal the body. The journey to maintain a healthy lifestyle can be challenging and sometimes confusing. Here are a few tips that I use to help me stay on track.
1. Examine the labels on food items. Avoid high fructose corn syrup. If you can not pronounce the ingredients, reconsider before eating that item.
2. Eat 3 balanced meals and 2 healthy snacks a day. Avoid eating after 7pm or at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. Visit www.shape.com/quickandhealthy for great recipes. My new favorite snack is Odwalla bars. You can find them at any health food store or your neighborhood Walgreens. See www.Odwalla.com
3. Get 8 hours of sleep. This is a hard one for me. Graduate school keeps me busy, but I do my best. Researchers report that more sleep will help boost your immune system. I love to use Lavender bath and body oils before bedtime. It has been proven to help decrease tension and help maintain a deeper sleep. Available at www.naturopathica.com.
4. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day- four days a week. My exercise of choice is walking. Jump rope is another good exercise. (Double-dutch anyone?)
5. Minimize the stress in your life. I believe 50% of all stress is relieved by using two alphabet more often, the “N” and the “O”. Put together it spells NO!
6. Practice being Grateful. Start keeping a journal or a “Grateful list” in the back or your Bible.
7. Pray and/or Meditate. This should actually be first on the list.
Incorporating these 7 tips in you life will help you stay healthy, inside and out.